Cleaning and Catering colleagues being presented their leadership course award

Colleagues commit to team leadership

Colleagues from the Catering and Cleaning teams have completed a course in Principles of Team Leadership that will shape the needs of future learners. 

The course was a pilot for a Facilitated Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Team Leading. Primarily distance learning, there were also weekly sessions on campus with Jo Westerman from the Organisational Development & Professional Learning Team. Learners committed their own time to completing the course within the deadlines set by the Skills Network. 

One of the participants, Carol Haynes, Operations Team Leader in Cleaning Services said: 

When I started the course, it was because I wanted to learn different leadership styles and improve  what I already knew. It was difficult trying to fit it in around full-time work but I enjoyed finding new ways in which to manage a team that I can now use in my role as team leader. The sense of achievement when I got my certificate was worth all the hard work.

The course covered topics including understanding how to communicate work-related information, principles of equality and diversity in the workplace, and understanding how to develop and deliver a presentation.  

Julie Tong, Head of Retail Catering said: 

“We are incredibly proud of the hard work and commitment that the team have shown in working to achieve their qualification. Each individual has not only grown in confidence and knowledge but benefited from the University of Leeds ongoing commitment to professional development across all departments.”

Jill Roberts, Head of Cleaning Services said: 

“I am extremely proud of the team leaders who volunteered to complete this pilot scheme and the dedication, commitment and time they put into it. There were some lessons learned as the time constraints were difficult at times for our team leaders, however they carried on regardless with determination to complete. It is a wonderful achievement for them and all have benefitted from the knowledge they have gained.”

Those taking part were: Lukas Safranek, Zoe Read, Violetta Marzycka and Aileen Mulcahy from Catering, and  Anna Oledzka, Caron Wilson, Cindy Sylvester, Jonathan White, Carol Haynes, Jackie Blakeborough, Gail Radcliffe and Matthew Blakeborough from the Cleaning team. 

Group of people at the team leadership course awards